Red Cabbage Salad
Love love love red cabbage. There’s nothing I don’t do with it; to name just a few of my red cabbage treats: kim chi; swiss chard and sausage; health salad, beet red cabbage salad with all the fixings.
I can’t recommend it enough: Please give your food processor all your slicing and your chopping to do in a jiffy! It’s my workhorse. You will enjoy all these chopped, shredded and sliced salads much more often, as I do! My readers make my Latkas all the time now that they know what a great sous chef they have in the food processor. Just be sure to never feed the machine tough food chunks: always remove the hard core of cabbage, fennel and other such foods. Everything else is a breeze for the food processor.
Get yourself a premium food processor brand, well worth the price difference! Especially when you consider this simple fact: a toy-like food processor needs to be replaced constantly, whereas a good food processor will last you years and years!
Everything about Red Cabbage is Great!
It has so much much going for it: the crunch, the flavor, the tang, the year round availability, the affordability (ha, what do you know, that’s a word!), the generous way it has of yielding lots of good salad and saute.
My Red Cabbage Salad is Quite Elastic!
Once you pick the food processor as your sous chef, you can take this salad in several directions, all delicious. Scroll down for variations!
- 1 small head red cabbage, quartered, cores cut off
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, packed
- 1 bunch flat parsley
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- salt and peper to taste
Use the food processor. Slice the cabbage and onion very thin, using the thin-slicing blade and transfer to a salad bowl. Switch to the metal chopping blade, using the pulse button, and chop the mint, parsley and dill fine, but be sure not to chop too fine, so the herbs retain texture and color.
Whisk the dressing ingredients in a cup, and pour over the salad. Toss thoroughly.
- Combine the cabbage with shredded carrots, sliced celery, sliced radishes (the health salad above)
- Make it without the pomegranate or herb selection, just chopped dill. Dressing with olive oil and cider vinegar
- Asian Red Cabbage Salad: use scallions, shredded carrots, roasted cashews or peanuts, cilantro. Dressing: Toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, grated ginger.