Autumn Beet Salad with all the Fixin’s Recipe
Beet Salad with All the Fixins’
Everyone celebrate autumn (okay, winter) in the way that makes them most happy, cozy and comfortable. Since we are huge salad eaters at home, our seasonal celebrations most often gravitate around the food that best express the seasons. So salads are a great showcase! Beets, red apple, red grapefruit, red cabbage? With a fruity cranberry dressing and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses? Mmmmmm…..
You will find my Beet Salad quite versatile:
Let me start by saying I am thrilled for the brave little beet. We grew up eating beets everyday, but in America they were scorned and all but ignored, scoring points mostly for their help with our, hmmm, regularity. More power to the humble root that recently moved from wallflower to rock star status. Now we regularly enjoy it, cooked or raw, in risotto, cake, latkas, smoothies, soups, And of course, in salads. I couldn’t resist making it even healthier and more delicious by adding a pouch of Levana Meal Replacement Mixed Berry
In our, the consumers’, defense, I’ll say:
Beets can be somewhat high maintenance
The prolonged cooking they necessitate can really be a deterrent. But the good news is, we can now easily find perfect, peeled, roasted and vacuum-packed beets, which makes them a snap to use!
I will share the basic beet salad I started out with, and list all the variations, including main course. It has no green salad leaves, and therefore it is sturdy and perfect even the next couple days.
- 1 pound bag vacuum packed beets, diced
- 1 red grapefruit, peeled, all white pith removed, and diced (do this right in the bowl, so as not to loose the precious juice)
- 1 red apple, unpeeled, diced small
- 1 rib celery, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup packed mixed minced herbs: Mint and parsley are my favorite
1/3 cup cranberry or raspberry dressing
Drizzle of pomegranate molasses, optional
Place all the salad ingredients in a bowl. Toss with the dressing. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses if desired.
Beet Salad Variations:
Make it a larger salad, even a main course, by adding one or two of the following:
- Add half a small head red cabbage, sliced very thin (use the food processor). In this case bring the dressing up to 1/2 cup
- Throw in 3 tablespoons roasted chopped nuts (I love pistachios in this salad)
- Throw in 1/2 cooked or roasted chickpeas
- Throw in 1/2 cup diced kashkaval or feta
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!