Paté de Campagne Recipe. All Garnishes
Pate de Campagne is the ultimate French delicacy.
Consider it the best homemade Charcuterie dish. Rustic luxury at its best.
Although this Paté de Campagne is fabulous as is posted below, there are so many variations on the great French favorite. Let your imagination run wild, to suit your personal preferences and tastes.
Here are some basics that must be present in a Paté de Campagne:
Broiled chicken livers, some other meat such as poached chicken breasts, saute ground meat, fresh herbs, brandy.
I find all liver-based preparations quite perishable:
So I pour my mixture in lots of small ceramic jars (for spreading), or parchment loaves (for slicing), and freeze all of them, taking out the loaves as I go along, allowing a few hours to thaw, or simply putting them in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. It is quite rich, so slice it thin, or else splurge on it and make it a whole meal, with a salad and a glass of Bordeaux, and have yourself a feast: Try it with my Arugala, Grapefruit and Roasted Beet Salad
Garnishes with Pate de Campagne:
Gherkins, grain mustard, good whole grain breads, good crackers, olives
For perfect broiled chicken livers:
Do not over cook please, or they get bitter. We want to end up with the creamy consistency liver is so prized for.
- 2 pounds broiled chicken or duck livers, or a combination
- 2 chicken breasts, poached in a little water until just tender
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef, saute until no longer pink
- 1 pound chunk smoked turkey breast, diced
- 3 shallots
- 1 bunch flat parsley, leaves and stems
- 1/2 cup rendered chicken or duck fat (store bought), or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Herbes de Provence (spice section)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds
- Good pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup green peppercorns in brine (spice section), drained
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup brandy, slivovitz or dark rum
- Optional: 1/2 cup toasted and chopped pistachios
In a food processor, grind half the livers, chicken, beef and smoked turkey until perfectly smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
Now add to your food processor: all your remaining liver, chicken breasts, meat, smoked turkey, shallots and parsley and grind coarsely, making sure the mixture retains a coarse texture. Add this mixture to the bowl, with all remaining ingredients, and combine thoroughly. Pack the mixture very tightly into small loaves (6 small, or 3 medium). Serve chilled. Freeze the unused portions for other meals. Each small loaf makes a good 8 slices.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!