My burritos are in my Dairy-Free Cookbook.
I whip up my black bean burritos recipe, my BBB as I call it, whenever company is coming on short notice. If I don’t have the burritos or corn tortillas on hand, I simply put the filling in a bowl, and let everyone dig in, with corn chips and guacamole. Chocolate, beans and beer. A mischievous and wonderfully messy little trio brought together in these burritos: how can you miss?
My other BBB is a burger!
Take a look at my Black Bean Burger Recipe! It will make a Black Bean Lover out of you! Did you know you can even make brownies with Black Beans? whew! I love’ em also because they combine protein and fiber so perfectly. Flavor means nutrition, at a great budget!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (more if you like it hot)
- 2 ribs celery, peeled
- 1 bunch flat parsley
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves only
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 12 ounce bottle beer, dark or light
- 3 cups canned black beans, good natural brand please, rinsed
- 1 cup finely diced smoked turkey, optional
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Salt to taste (go easy, you might need only very little if at all)
- 1/3 cup semisweet real chocolate chips, best quality
- A dozen, or a couple more, store-bought burritos, or corn tortillas (Gluten-Free: Be sure to check the GF sign on the burritos label)
Heat the oil in a heavy pot.
In a food processor, coarsely grind the onion, garlic, jalapeno, celery, parsley and cilantro. Add to the hot oil and sauté until translucent. Add the tomatoes, beer, beans, smoked turkey if using, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, 20 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips and the cheese and cook 5 more minutes.
Fill the tortillas with the filling while it is hot and roll, placing them seam side down as you go. Offer the garnishes on the side: guacamole, grated cheddar (if you kept your dish meatless), sliced scallions, chopped tomatoes.