Peanut Butter Noodles
They are a real treat, for children big and small. Strictly for peanut butter lovers. Sorry no substitutions for the PB: You need it!
They are served cold, so they often appear at picnics and buffet displays. I used to make oodles of these noodles in my catering years.
Lapsong Souchong is a Chinese tea with an intriguing pungent, funky, smoky, “tarry” taste. As a drink, you will either love it or hate it, but you will always love it in a dressing or marinade, and of course in peanut butter noodles. If you don’t have it on hand, settle for Earl Grey.
Peanut Butter Noodles are Super Healthy!
Here is a perfect place to sneak in a perfectly healthy pasta such as soba or rice noodles.
and if you want to make the dish gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta!
Peanut Butter Sauce
You’ll be happy to have this sauce on hand, not only for these peanut butter noodles but for grilled chicken or fish, or even as a salad dressing. So don’t hesitate to make a double batch, and store the unused portion in the fridge.
Turn the Dish Into a Main Course!
A few well chosen additions will make you a perfect high protein main course, especially if you wisely chose edamame pasta (24 gram protein per 2 ounce serving!)
- Diced cooked chicken or fish
- Diced firm tofu
- Flaked mock crab
- 1 pound soba noodles, or gluten-free noodles, boiled according to manufacturer’s instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid, then drain.
Peanut Butter Sauce (also called Thai Sauce)
- 1 cup strong Lapsang Souchong tea (2 tea bags steeped in 1 cup boiling water)
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy or tamari sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar, honey or maple syrup
- 2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 2–3 tablespoons bottled hot sauce
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 6-8 sprigs cilantro, stems discarded, minced
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
Toss the noodles with the sauce.
Toss in the garnishes just before serving.
If the noodles look too dry (especially leftovers), thin with the reserved noodles cooking liquid.
Makes eight ample servings.