Moroccan Lettuce Chickpea Salad Recipe
Lettuce Chickpea Salad is one of my favorites
It is overlaid with Moroccan flavors, bright and fragrant.
To all of you out there always asking how we turn a same old, same old salad into an exciting Sephardi main course:
You can take lettuce chickpea salad places:
You can glorify it even further by throwing in some leftover diced fish or chicken. Or make it dairy, and throw in some crumbled feta.
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 ribs celery, peeled
- 1 jalapeño, stem cut off
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- ½ preserved lemon, skin only, rinsed (page 19 settle for zest of 2 lemons if you don’t have any on hand)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1∕3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Bottled hot sauce to taste
Lettuce Chickpea Salad:
- 3 cups canned chickpeas (1 large can), drained and rinsed
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- 1 cup pitted Moroccan (oil-cured) olives
- ¼ cup capers
- 3 romaine hearts, sliced very thin
Make the dressing: In a food processor, finely grind the garlic, celery, jalapeño, parsley, and preserved lemon. Add the oil, lemon, cumin, oregano, and
hot sauce, and pulse just 1–2 times, until combined but still chunky.
Place all the salad ingredients in a platter. Toss with the dressing. Serve at room temperature.
Makes 8 servings
Guests love this Almond Honey spread….
and it’s a great healthy treat for kids spread on apple slices (and for adults too!!!)
delicious and nutritious.
You will love it! Shabbat Shalom. xoxo
Levana, your salads are legendary, keep them coming!!