Dazzling, refreshing no-cooking raw summer soup. It comes together in minutes, and no cooking: just what we wish for on torrid days.
It is not white exactly, but the color designers call celery. A little couture in the kitchen can’t hurt! It is the classic red Gazpacho’s elegant first cousin: there’s plenty of room in the gazpacho sandbox.
It stars toasted almonds and yogurt. It is very easily made gluten-free. Good quality bread, please!
The bold and zippy flavor lineup in white gazpacho is impossible to beat, with yogurt, mint, lemon and dill. The bread soaks up all the wonderful seasonings and impart its own thickening texture.
Don’t Freeze White Gazpacho!
This is practically the only one of my soups that won’t freeze well. The other is my corn avocado soup. Avocado is wonderful, but once it’s peeled it’s very perishable.
Make it the day it will be served, or no longer than a day before serving. If you do plan to serve it the day after you make it, use a little lemon juice in the soup to help keep the colors bright, and at serving time give it a good whisking to get your emulsion back.
Great for first course and fun for hors d’œuvres, served in small cups. You’ll find very pretty disposable small clear cupsdisposable small clear cups
Makes 10–12 ample servings, or a good 3 dozen hors d’oeuvre size servings
- 1 long seedless cucumber, peeled
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 slices good whole grain bread. Gluten-Free OK
- 2 avocados, peeled and quartered
- 2 ribs celery, peeled
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup toasted sliced almonds, plus more for garnish (300 degree oven for 12-15 minutes)
- 4 cups (32 ounces) plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup mint leaves, packed
- 1⁄4 cup dill, fronds and stems, packed
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Cold water added to thin the soup as needed
- Reserved toasted sliced almonds
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Lime slices, for garnish
Combine all the ingredients in a blender, in batches and blend until perfectly smooth, adding cold water as needed to give the soup a thin and smooth consistency. Serve chilled, topped with sliced toasted almonds, mint, and lime.